Taxation of Rentals & Leases - Register for the 5/31 Webinar.
Stay up to date with sales tax: Join our mailing list!
Nexus: How Did We Get Here and Where Are We Going? Webinar
Nexus is one of the most important concepts in the world of sales tax. Simply put, nexus is the factor that determines if you are required to register to collect sales or use tax on sales into a state. Sellers – whether they are online sellers or not – need to know where they have established nexus and what that entails. If you have nexus in a state and aren’t registered to collect and remit sales tax there, you are exposing yourself to a significant financial risk.
Sales tax nexus has changed dramatically over the years, and in the last 10 years, we’ve seen many new ways that states are defining the activities that create nexus for sales and use tax purposes. States have been enacting click-through nexus, affiliate nexus, and use tax notice and reporting requirements legislation over that time period. Within the last 2 years, states are now enacting two new types of legislation called economic nexus and marketplace nexus. Are you aware of how all these different types of legislation work and whether they are creating nexus for your business? And do you know about the different corrective actions you can take if you do have nexus and haven’t been collecting and remitting sales tax?
Where do you stand on nexus and what does the future of nexus look like? In this 90-minute webinar, sales tax expert Diane Yetter of the Sales Tax Institute will get you up to speed on recent nexus developments so you can understand the new and different ways sales tax nexus can be created. Diane will also discuss what kind of nexus activity we can likely expect in the near future. This webinar will help you to understand sales tax nexus concepts and plan for the future, so you can minimize your risk. In addition, you can get answers to your sales tax nexus questions from Diane during the live Q&A portion of the webinar.
Learning Objectives for this webinar include:
- Understand what sales tax nexus is and what it means for your business.
- Get an update on recently enacted state nexus legislation so you’re up-to-date with recent developments.
- Understand the different types of nexus legislation that states are passing and introducing: click through, affiliate, marketplace and economic and hear how these relate to long standing nexus concepts.
- Discover what the different types of nexus requirements mean for you as a seller.
- Identify the different corrective actions you can take if you do have nexus and haven’t been collecting and remitting sales tax.
- Learn practical tips for what you should do in an uncertain nexus environment.
- Discover what the future may hold for sales tax nexus so you can prepare and minimize your risk.