Learn About Sales Tax Issues for Mergers & Acquisitions. Register for the 3/19 webinar!
Sales Tax Holidays
Sales Tax Holiday Chart By State
|Alabama||Annual Holiday||February 20-22, 2015||
Severe weather preparedness items - $60 or less per item, except for generators and power cords, which are covered so long as they cost $1,000 or less. Note: not all counties and municipalities are participating in the sales tax holiday. Click here to view an updated chart listing participation.
|Alabama||Annual Holiday||August 1-3, 2014||
1. Clothing - $100 or less per article (excluding accessories and protective or recreational equipment)
2. Single purchases ($750 or less) of computers, computer software, and school computer supplies (excluding purchases for commercial use)
3. Noncommercial school supplies - $50 or less per item
4. Noncommercial purchases of books - $30 or less per item
Note: not all counties and municipalities are participating in the sales tax holiday. Click here to view an updated chart listing participation.
|Alaska||Holiday||September 1, 2014 - May 31, 2015||
Purchases of qualifying non-prepared food.
Note: This tax holiday is for Homer, Alaska and Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska only.
|Arkansas||Annual Holiday||August 2-3, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - less than $100 per item
2. Clothing accessories and equipment - less than $50 per item
3. School supplies, school art supplies, and school instructional materials
|Connecticut||Annual Holiday||August 17-23, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - Less than $300 per item (excluding clothing accessories and protective or athletic clothing).
|Florida||Holiday||September 19-21, 2014||
The first $1,500 of the sales price of a new qualifying Energy Star or WaterSense product. The exemption is limited to a single purchase for each specific type of qualifying item with a sales price of $500 or more. There are no quantity limits on qualifying items with a sales price of less than $500. Qualifying Energy Star products are: air purifiers; ceiling fans; clothes washers; dehumidifiers; dishwashers; freezers; light bulbs (packages); refrigerators; room air conditioners; swimming pool pumps; and water heaters. Qualifying WaterSense products are: bathroom sink faucets; faucet accessories; high-efficiency toilets or urinals; showerheads; and weather or sensor-based irrigation controllers.
|Florida||Holiday||May 31 - June 8, 2014||
Hurricane Preparedness Items:
1. Reusable ice - $10 or less per item
2. Candles and flashlights - $20 or less per item
3. Gas or fuel tanks - $25 or less per item
4. First aid kits and batteries, food storage coolers - $30 or less per item
5. Tarpaulins and ground anchors - $50 or less per item
6. Portable generators - $750 or less per item
Click here for more details.
|Georgia||Annual Holiday||October 3-5, 2014||
1. Purchases of energy-efficient and water-efficient products purchased for noncommercial use - $1500 or less per item
2. NOTE: Does not apply with regard to purchases for trade, business, resale, or commercial use.
|Georgia||Annual Holiday||August 1-2, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - $100 or less per item (excluding accessories)
2. Single purchases for noncommercial use of $1000 or less of personal computers and related accessories
3. General school supplies to be used in the classroom or in classroom-related activities - $20 or less per item
4. NOTE: Does not apply to items used in a trade or business or for resale, or rentals; or sales in theme parks, entertainment complexes, public lodging establishments, restaurants, or airports.
|Iowa||Annual Holiday||August 1-2, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - $100 or less per item (excluding clothing accessories)
|Louisiana||Annual Holiday||September 5-7, 2014||
1. Any consumer purchases of firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies.
|Louisiana||Annual Holiday||May 24-25, 2014||
1. Hurricane preparedness items and supplies not sold at any airport, public lodging establishment or hotel, convenience store or entertainment complex - $1,500 or less per item. Note: the holiday only applies to the 4% state sales tax and doesn't apply to local sales tax.
|Louisiana||Annual Holiday||August 1-2, 2014||
1. Purchases of all tangible personal property for non-business use - $2,500 or less per item. Note: The holiday applies to the state sales tax, but does not apply to the sales taxes levied by parishes, municipalities, school boards, and other political subdivisions of the state.
|Maryland||Annual Holiday||February 14-16, 2015||
Sales of Energy Star products (includes air conditioners, washers and dryers, furnaces, heat pumps, standard-size refrigerators, compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL), light-emitting diode (LED) light bulbs, dehumidifiers and programmable thermostats)
|Maryland||Annual Holiday||August 10-16, 2014||
Clothing and footwear (excluding accessories) - $100 or less per item
|Massachusetts||Holiday||August 16-17, 2014||
All Non business purchases of tangible personal property costing $2,500 or less per item. Includes rental transactions of 30 days or less. Excludes rentals and leases longer than 30 days, service transactions, motor vehicles, motorboats, meals, telecommunication services, gas, steam, electricity and tobacco products.
|Mississippi||Annual Holiday||September 5-7, 2014||
Retail sales of firearms, ammunition, and hunting supplies. "Hunting supplies" means tangible personal property used for hunting, including, and limited to, archery equipment, firearm and archery cases, firearm and archery accessories, hearing protection, holsters, belts, and slings.
|Mississippi||Annual Holiday||July 25-26, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - less than $100 per item.
|Missouri||Annual Holiday||August 1-3, 2014||
1. Clothing - $100 or less per item (excluding clothing accessories)
2. School supplies - $50 or less per item
3. Computer Software - $350 or less per item
4. Computers/computer peripheral devices - $3,500 or less
|Missouri||Annual Holiday||April 19-25, 2014||
1. All retail sales of Energy Star certified new appliances (includes clothes washers, refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners, and heat pumps) of up to $1,500 per appliance
|New Mexico||Annual Holiday||August 1-3, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear items - $100 or less per item (excluding accessories, athletic or protective clothing or footwear)
2. School supplies - $30 or less per item
3. Handheld calculators - $200 or less per item
4. Computers, e-readers that have computing functions, and tablets - $1,000 or less per item
5. Certain computer related items - $500 or less per item
|Oklahoma||Annual Holiday||August 1-3, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - less than $100 per item (excluding accessories, special clothing or footwear primarily designed for athletic activity or protective use that is not normally worn except when used for athletic activity or protective use, or to the rental of clothing or footwear)
|Puerto Rico||Holiday||July 18-19, 2014||
1. School uniforms
2. School supplies
3. Textbooks and notebooks
|Puerto Rico||Holiday||January 16-17, 2015||
Purchases of school uniforms and school supplies
|South Carolina||Annual Holiday||August 1-3, 2014||
1. Clothing and certain clothing accessories (excluding rentals)
3. School supplies
4. Computers, printer supplies and computer software (excludes items used for commercial purposes)
5. Certain bed and bath items
|Tennessee||Annual Holiday||August 1-3, 2014||
1. Clothing - $100 or less per item (excludes clothing accessories or equipment)
2. School and Art supplies -$100 or less per item
3. Computers - $1,500 or less per item (excludes computer software and any items for use in a trade or business)
|Texas||Annual Holiday||May 24-26, 2014||
Energy Star-qualified air conditioners priced at $6,000 or less; refrigerators priced at $2,000 or less; ceiling fans; fluorescent light bulbs; dishwashers; dehumidifiers; and clothes washers
|Texas||Annual Holiday||August 8-10, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - $100 or less per item (excluding accessories, athletic or protective clothing, and rentals of clothing or footwear); backpacks used by elementary and secondary students are included
2. Most School Supplies - $100 or less per item
|Virginia||Annual Holiday||October 10-13, 2014||
1. Energy Star & WaterSense qualified products - $2,500 or less per item (purchased for noncommercial home or personal use)
|Virginia||Annual Holiday||May 25-31, 2014||
1. Portable generators (up to $1,000 each)
2. Gas-powered chain saws (up to $350 each)
3. Other hurricane preparedness items (up to $60 each)
|Virginia||Annual Holiday||August 1-3, 2014||
1. Clothing and footwear - $100 or less per item
2. School Supplies - $20 or less per item